Supervisor, Patient Financial Counseling
Company: Hackensack Meridian Health
Posted on: June 23, 2022
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack
Meridian -Health -our teams are focused on changing the lives of
our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every
day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health
teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities,
our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your
skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within
New Jersey's premier healthcare system. - -The Supervisor,
Financial Counseling for the Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH)
hospitals network is responsible to implement, oversee, track, and
monitor upfront cash collections, financial clearance, calculations
for patient self-pay services, and payment arrangements. This
includes patient education and customer services inquiries,
financial counseling, eligibility screening, and enrollments with
our patient payment banking partner, Commerce Bank.A day in the
life of a Hospital Billing Supervisor at Hackensack Meridian Health
- Identify patients who need financial counseling and execute
financial agreements in accordance with policies; receive referrals
from Patient Access and clinical leaders. Track and audit
agreements for compliance.
- Provides financial estimates for our International patients in
accordance with policy; ensures accuracy of the related
calculations, clear and timely communication, and constant account
monitoring for those who travel to our facility for services. Works
closely with the Director of Global Medicine to provide financial
documents and bills as required by International sponsors and
- Maintains regular communication with a patient's clinical team
regarding the treatment plan; includes, modifications to the plan,
and anticipated pharmacy items and doses.
- Audits accuracy of demographic and insurance information to
ensure maximum reimbursement in accordance with our collection
- Provide estimates for uninsured patients; work closely with the
clinical leadership to obtain a comprehensive treatment plan;
obtains charge information as needed from all ancillary
departments. Monitor self-pay calculations and related
communication to patients to ensure they are being provided in
accordance with policy.
- Oversee the eligibility screening for Medicaid and Charity
care; work closely with the Financial Assistance team to
appropriately assist and schedule patients for appointments in that
- Function as the Presumptive Eligibility (PE) Coordinator to
support gaining NJ Medicaid eligibility for out patients.
- Point of contact for the NJ Department of Health for all PE and
NJ Medicaid inquiries.
- Provides patient education regarding their insurance benefits,
eligibility, and expected out of pocket expenses.
- Provides supplemental customer service as needed. Also, assist
patients who are enrolled in Research Studies and require
additional explanation of coverage.
- Acts as a liaison with the Cardinal Health drug replacement
program for patients in need.
- Monitors staff productivity, including all EPIC related work
queues and system actions; ensures timely completion of duties and
establishes performance standards for the team members.
- Plans, coordinates, and schedules the daily operations of the
department in compliance with HMH policies.
- Liaison with Commerce Bank regarding the enrollment portal,
related access and training needs. Responsible for reconciling
portal accounts and balances.
- Work in close coordination with the Patient Access team to
ensure a streamlined experience for patients and timely
- Ensures team members are trained on procedures and requests
additional training as needed.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, and termination of team
members in accordance with corporate policies and procedures.
- Maintains accurate time & attendance records utilizing Clairvia
and Peoplesoft in accordance with corporate policies.
- Completes the written performance evaluations for team members;
assists them with goal development.
- Evaluates actual versus planned performance and metrics,
presents and communicates missed opportunities; utilizes patient
statements and bad debt data for such purposes.
- Builds relationships with departments and operations staff to
obtain and analyze additional information to improve workflows and
the overall patient experience.
- Addresses inquiries from other HMH departments regarding
- Monitor incoming and outgoing phone calls, timeliness of
responses and overall quality of the service provided.
- Oversee outreach to patients with balances in the dunning
cycle, in regard to facilitating payment and explaining payment
- Maintains strictest confidentiality and adheres to all HIPAA
guidelines and regulations.
- Assesses the impact of new regulations or requirements, and
acts as a resource to clinical departments regarding those
requirements; discusses ideas with Senior Leadership.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and
modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e.,
age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.).
This process includes communicating with the patient, parent,
and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age,
educational, literacy, etc.).
- Performs various other duties related to the Revenue Cycle as
requested by Senior Leadership. Education, Knowledge, Skills and
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in accounting/business/healthcare
administration, or equivalent relevant years of experience.
- Minimum of 4 or more years of experience in a revenue cycle
- Proficiency with insurance plans and determining patient out of
- Ability to travel among the HMH facility locations, as
- Proficient computer skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and multitask.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited
to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms. -Education,
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Experience leading a team, monitoring productivity and
- Prior experience with Epic.
- Experience counseling patients regarding financial obligations
and providing related education.
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Familiar with eligibility requirements for NJ Medicaid and
Charity Care. -Licenses and Certifications Required: Licenses and
- Certified in NJ Presumptive Eligibility/willingness to obtain
Keywords: Hackensack Meridian Health, Hackensack , Supervisor, Patient Financial Counseling, Accounting, Auditing , Hackensack, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!