Outpatient Coder - Orthopedic
Company: Hackensack Meridian Health
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Description: How have you impacted someone's life today? At
Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the
lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each
and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational
health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care
capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to
apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career,
all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system. Hackensack
Meridian Health is expanding our footprint in Orthopedic care in
northern New Jersey. Our Physician Services team is hiring for two
Outpatient Coders to join our team in supporting three high volume,
fast paced clinics. -In this role, you will abstract clinical
information from a variety of medical records, charts and
documents, and assign appropriate ICD-10 and/or CPT-4 codes to
patient records according to established procedures. We are looking
for enthusiatic individuals who are eager a new iniative and ready
take on the variety of new challenges that come with opening new
clinic spaces. - To start in this role, we anticipate that you will
work on site across our new locations in Franklin Lakes, Paramus,
and North Bergen on a rotating basis. Once these new teams are well
established, we anticipate the opportunity for hybrid work will
become available. - Responsibilties: As an Outpatient Coder III at
Hackensack Meridian Health, you will:
- Assign ICD-10-CM or HCPCS codes creating APC group assignments.
Primarily responsible for coding outpatient-in-a-bed accounts and
observation services for both facility and professional services
that were performed.
- Code and abstract pertinent information from Emergency
Department records for both facility and professional services that
- Abstract pertinent information from patient records and green
bar report for outpatient services.
- Code all appropriate diagnosis and procedure codes from results
and reason for visit for ancillary services.
- Query physicians when code assignments are not straightforward
or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear
for coding purposes.
- Review and abstract clinical documentation for medical
necessity, utilizing the current local and national coverage
determination policies and other regulatory guidelines.
- Review OCE and CCI edits and resolves issues in order to
finalize the account to ensure coding accuracy.
- Stay up-to-date on coding guidelines and reimbursement
reporting requirements. Bring any identified concerns to your
leadership team for review.
- Abide by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the
American Health Information Management Association and adheres to
official coding guidelines.
- Perform data entry of coded/abstracted information for APC
assignment into the Medical Center computer system.
- Adhere to the standards identified in the Medical Center's
Qualifications: Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent. Courses in Medical
Terminology and Anatomy and Physiology.
- Experience in deficiency analysis, registration, and basic
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in ancillary, emergency
department and/or outpatient services, including but not limited to
endoscopy, cardiac cath and same day surgery. Education, Knowledge,
Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Associate's degree.
- Encoder usage preferred with proficiency in computer skills.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) or Certified Coding Specialist
(CCS) or Registered Health Info Tech License (RHIT). -If you feel
that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and
capabilities, then please apply today! Related Keywords: medical
coding, outpatient coder, physician coder, orthopedic coding,
Keywords: Hackensack Meridian Health, Hackensack , Outpatient Coder - Orthopedic, Healthcare , Hackensack, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!