Support Specialist, Pathology
Company: Hackensack Meridian Health
Posted on: October 14, 2019
How have you impacted someone's life today* At Hackensack Meridian
Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients
by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our
hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our
long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete
spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in
multiple settings while building your career, all within New
Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Support Specialist, Pathology registers specimens into the SMS
system, performs a variety of clerical duties relating to patient
specimens, and answers inquiries regarding the status of patient
A day in the life of a Support Specialist, Pathology at Hackensack
Meridian can be described as follows:
1. Separates and accessions traumas and other stat specimens from
non-stats quickly and efficiently and free of error.
2. Accurately ensures that all outreach, out-patient and in-house
specimens are received under the proper conditions, i.e.,
temperature, tube type, labeling requirements, etc.
3. Ensures that all tests corresponding to a specimen are logged in
accurately and that computer labels are placed on specimens
4. Possess a working knowledge of downtime procedures for the
computer and pneumatic tube systems and follows procedures
5. Documents any issues pertaining to the registration/ordering
process and informs the appropriate unit, physician's office, or
outreach area for follow up.
6. Registers specimens, utilizing appropriate tools available to
perform this function accurately and free of error.
7. Checks PIDX accurately to prevent duplicate medical record
numbers, determines guarantor, and primary, secondary and/or
8. Transcribes all insurance information using smart ID and
utilizing diagnosis codes appropriately.
9. Differentiates methods of registrations for various out-patient
types, ie, RGE, SPE, LOP etc.
10. Possesses a thorough working knowledge of both the laboratory
and hospital computer systems and is able to perform all system
functions necessary as it relates to results reporting and record
11. Orders, receives, identifies, labels, centrifuges and
distributes specimens to appropriate areas for testing accurately
and free of errors.
12. Screens incoming calls and provides information to appropriate
medical personnel as needed.
13. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Some computer experience.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Current matriculating high school student with science
background or with secretarial or commercial school background.
2. Knowledge of medical terminology.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your
strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Meridian Health is committed to the principles of equal employment
opportunity and affirmative action and will not discriminate in the
recruitment or employment practices on the basis of race, color,
creed, national origin, ancestry, marital status, gender, age,
religion, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression,
disability, veteran status and any other category protected by
federal or state law.
Keywords: Hackensack Meridian Health, Hackensack , Support Specialist, Pathology, Healthcare , Hackensack, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!