Patient Care Technician - Emergency Department Trauma - Full Time Evening
Company: Hackensack University Medical Center
Posted on: June 3, 2021
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack
Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our
patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day.
From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to
our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our
complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills
in multiple settings while building your career, all within New
Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Patient Care Technician is responsible for assisting
registered professional nurses, in the care of the patient. He/she
performs all of the essential generic job functions as listed
A day in the life of a Patient Care Technician at Hackensack
Meridian Health includes:
- Welcomes patients and checks for proper identification
- Prepares the patient for assessment/admission, physical
examination and procedures. 3. Draws intravenous or capillary blood
from newborn through geriatric aged patients using proper aseptic
collection techniques, assure appropriate labeling and processing
of specimens to expedite through put of patients.
- Performs EKG for patients as directed.
- Compiles EKG reports for physician interpretation (including
associated billing charges).
- Assures the presence, functionality and cleanliness of all
- Assists in the transport of patient to departments or units
- Assists with preparation as necessary assuring the patient is
assisted with meals/ or fed as needed.
- Checks inventory of assigned area and restocks as
- Ensures room environment is prepared for admission.
- Provides direct hygiene and comfort care to patients including
bathing, toileting, oral hygiene, incontinent care, and bed
- Takes vital signs on admission under the direction of the RN,
and documents accordingly on appropriate flow sheets, and notifies
the RN of results, assists with admission as appropriate inclusive
of checking of patient ID bands.
- Performs and documents glucose finger sticks and collects other
specimens as directed.
- Obtains and documents daily patient weights and observes and
documents patient's intake and output.
- Provides a safe patient environment by answering call lights
promptly, communicating with the RN immediately for any change ion
the patient's condition.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and
modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs not
limited to (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually
impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the
patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level
(developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.)
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's
Organizational Competencies and Standards of Behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- To work every other weekend.
- To work three (3) out of six (6) holidays.
- To work rotating schedule/shifts based on needs.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Certified Nursing Assistant, Certified Medical Assistant or
Patient Care Technician who has successfully completed a PCT
program which includes Phlebotomy, EKG and nursing assistant course
both in the theoretical and clinical setting.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Certified Nursing Assistant for inpatient care areas, Certified
Medical Assistant for outpatient care areas.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your
strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Keywords: Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack , Patient Care Technician - Emergency Department Trauma - Full Time Evening, Other , Hackensack, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!