Director, Infection Prevention/Control
Company: Hackensack University Medical Center
Posted on: June 3, 2021
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack
Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our
patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day.
From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to
our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our
complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills
in multiple settings while building your career, all within New
Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The HMH Director, Infection Prevention/Control with the Chief of
Infection Prevention and Control, designs, implements, coordinates
and maintains an effective system wide infection prevention and
control program consistent with regulatory requirements, the needs
of the system and the needs of patients of all ages. This position
acts as a liaison between the community and the system for
potential or actual communicable disease issues, supervises the
Nurse Epidemiologists and clerical support personnel, and
participates in performance improvement activities to ensure
positive patient outcomes.
A day in the life of a Director, Infection Prevention/Contro at
Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Facilitates and serves as System Director of the Hackensack
Meridian Health Infection Prevention and Control.
- Conducts surveillance for maintaining trends of healthcare
acquired infections and identification of potential outbreaks.
- Read and interprets lab data and medical records.
- Serves as site administrator for the Center for Disease
Control's (CDC) National Healthcare Surveillance Network (NHSN)
with oversight of data requirements.
- Oversite of Infection Prevention Teams.
- Responsible for System wide reporting and communication of
- Conducts formal and informal educational programs regarding
infection prevention and control practices, policies and
- Performs patient assessments pertaining to infection prevention
- Promotes patient safety as related to infection prevention and
- Designs and implements educational presentations for medical
and para medical team member regarding infection prevention and
control, communicable diseases, microbiological hazards and
regulatory agency standards.
- Oversight of Infection Prevention and Control Teams
participation in Onboarding of new team members regarding their
role in infection prevention and control, spread and control of
communicable diseases, hand hygiene and components of the systems
Infection Prevention and Control programs.
- Oversight of Infection Prevention and Control Teams annual
training on blood borne pathogens and tuberculosis for team
- Advances Infection Prevention and Control practices by sharing
knowledge with colleagues through educational offerings,
professional meetings, initiating and implementing research and
publishing findings when possible.
- Oversight of counseling and teaching for patients on isolation
precautions in relation to specific communicable diseases.
- Oversight of Infection Prevention and Control Teams
investigations of significant infection problems and clusters among
patients and team members.
- Supervises and evaluates infection prevention and control
standards through prevalence and retrospective studies,
questionnaires and sampling studies when indicated.
- Oversight of environmental sampling related to potential
infectious hazards and evaluates results when indicated.
- Oversight and supervision of specific surveillance which
includes patient care rounds, culture and sensitivity reviews,
audits, prevalence, retrospective and sampling studies.
- Maintains files on all Infection Prevention and Control data
for retrospective studies.
- Coordinates, supervises and evaluates outbreak investigation,
implementation of control measures and effectiveness of control
- Acts as a liaison with state and local health departments for
community communicable disease outbreaks.
- Utilizes continuous quality improvement techniques (PDSA) to
iprove patient outcomes including Failure Mode Effects Analysis
(FMEA) and Root Cause Analysis.
- Consults with team members regarding appropriate sterilization
and disinfection measures for all types of equipment.
- Oversight of the establishment of goals and objectives for the
system Infection Prevention and Control programs in conjunction
with the Chief of Infection Prevention and Control and the system
Infection Prevention and Control Committee (ICC).
- Supervises the formulation of general infection prevention and
control policies and procedures.
- Oversight of the HMH infection prevention and control
- Collaborates with departments in the development and review of
infection prevention and control policies.
- Supervision of the Infection Prevention and Control
- Oversight of appropriate orientation of the Infection
prevention and Control Manager, Lead Nurse Epidemiologist and Nurse
- . Participates in the development of departmental team member's
performance standards and evaluations.
- Reviews standards and practices involving sterilization,
disinfection and sanitation through the HMH system.
- Prepares HMH system for Joint Commission and other regulatory
- Establishes infection prevention and control criteria for
medical surgical products and participates in the evaluation of new
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and
modifies and ensures delivery of care that is specific to those
need, taking in to account factors such as age, culture, language,
- Adheres to the standards identified in the HMH Organizational
and Managerial competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Graduate of a NLN/AACN accredited program in nursing.
- Minimum 3-5 years old experience in Infection Prevention and
- Leadership/Management Experience.
- Computer experience with multiple programs including Word,
Power Point, Excel.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Experience with NHSN and Data Entry.
- Ability to generate charts, graphs and perform statistical
- Completion of the NICE Basic Infection Prevention and Control
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Master's Degree in a healthcare-related field preferred.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- NJ State Professional Registered Nurse License.
- Certified in Infection Control.
- Certified Professional in Patient Safety.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your
strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Keywords: Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack , Director, Infection Prevention/Control, Other , Hackensack, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!