Patient Care Technician - Peds ED - Part-time with Benefits Nights
Company: Hackensack University Medical Center
Posted on: June 8, 2021
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack
Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our
patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day.
From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to
our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our
complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills
in multiple settings while building your career, all within New
Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Patient Care Associate provides direct patient care under
the direction of the RN professional to all assigned patients and
maintains a safe patient area. This role also supplies clerical
support for this patient population. He/She assumes responsibility
and accountability for patient care as a team member in order to
achieve established outcomes.
A day in the life of a Patient Care Associate at Hackensack
Meridian Health includes:
- Provides hygiene and comfort care to patients including
bathing, toileting/diapering, feeding and bed making.
- Takes vital signs under the direction of the RN and documents
electronically according to Medical Center policy, reporting
results to RN.
- Performs and documents glucose finger stick/heel stick and
collects other specimens including stool, urine and sputum when
directed by the RN.4. Observes and documents patients intake and
- Maintains BLS certification and initiates interventions in
- Assists with patient transport to and from the
- Provides a safe patient environment by answering all call
lights promptly, communicating with the RN immediately for any
changes in patient condition.
- Acts in the patient sitter role when needed.
- Monitors inventory, orders supplies and equipment and procures
all items as needed using established channels.
- Performs A/D/T functions and patient charge entries.
- Initiates, and maintains patients medical record in accordance
with established policies.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and with
the professional nurse modifies and delivers care that is specific
to those needs (i.e.: age, culture, language, hearing and/or
- Communicates with patients and primary caregivers at their
level of understanding14. Adheres to the standards in the Medical
Centers Organizational Competencies and Code of Conduct.
- Performs other appropriate duties of the department at the
request of the Nurse
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Completion of one of the following: - Certified Nursing
Assistant, Medical Assistant or Patient Care Technician program or
- Fundamentals of Nursing program from an accredited school of
nursing or - HMH PCT Apprenticeship Program
- The ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing patient
needs, a strong sense of accountability for improving the lives of
our patients and their caregivers, an exceptional focus on
teamwork, dedication to ongoing education and the ability and
passion to deliver the highest quality of care and service based on
a strong sense of patient focus are all required.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Experienced or certified in phlebotomy and checking EKG, vital
signs and blood sugar preferred
- At least one (1) year PCT or CNA experience in a hospital
setting strongly preferred or eligible for the HMH PCT apprentice
- Certified Nursing Assistant, Certified Medical Assistant or
Patient Care Technician who has successfully completed a PCT
program which includes Phlebotomy, EKG and nursing assistant course
both in the theoretical and clinical setting.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification (must be
obtained by completion of onboarding)
Keywords: Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack , Patient Care Technician - Peds ED - Part-time with Benefits Nights, Other , Hackensack, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!