Outpatient Coder II
Company: Hackensack University Medical Center
Posted on: June 8, 2021
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack
Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our
patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day.
From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to
our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our
complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills
in multiple settings while building your career, all within New
Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Fostering a culture of excellence within a collaborative
environment, Hackensack Meridian Health is seeking talented
professionals to implement and support innovative solutions &
technologies. Our Information Technology team enables HMH to meet
the changing demands of the healthcare marketplace by providing
creative, high quality, efficient and effective solutions. Come
join the HMH team as we recently rolled out Epic throughout our
network and are looking for top talent to support this
Outpatient Coder II abstracts clinical information from a
variety of medical records, charts and documents and assigns
appropriate ICD-10 and/or CPT-4 codes to patient records according
to established procedures. Works with coding databases and confirms
HMH IT department has received many accolades from recognized
organizations; including Most Wired and Fortune. Come join our
winning IT team that was ranked as #1 "Best Hospital IT Department"
for the past two years by Health IT News.
A day in the life of an Outpatient Coder II at Hackensack
Meridian Health includes:
- Assigns ICD-10-CM or HCPCS codes creating APC group
assignments. Abstracts pertinent information from Emergency
Department records for both facility and professional services that
- Abstracts pertinent information from patient records and green
bar report for outpatient services.
- Codes all appropriate diagnosis and procedure codes from
results and reason for visit for ancillary services.
- Queries physicians when code assignments are not
straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate,
ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes.
- Reviews and abstracts clinical documentation for medical
necessity, utilizing the current local and national coverage
determination policies and other regulatory guidelines.
- Reviews OCE and CCI edits and resolves issues in order to
finalize the account to ensure coding accuracy.
- Keeps abreast of coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting
requirements. Brings identified concerns to supervisor or
department manager for resolution.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the
American Health Information Management Association and adheres to
official coding guidelines.
- Performs data entry of coded/abstracted information for APC
assignment into the Medical Center computer system.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Courses in Medical
Terminology, Anatomy, and Physiology.
- Experience in deficiency analysis, registration, and basic
- Minimum of 2 years experience in ancillary and/or emergency
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Associate's degree.
- Encoder usage preferred with proficiency in computer
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your
strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Keywords: Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack , Outpatient Coder II, Other , Hackensack, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!