Company: Hackensack Meridian Health
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Description: How have you impacted someone's life today? At
Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the
lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each
and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational
health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care
capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to
apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career,
all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system. The Diabetes
Educator functions as a caregiver for patients with diabetes in
order to achieve desired outcomes. This position directs and
oversees the care provided by other caregivers in the in-patient
setting through education, delegation, validation, evaluation and
coordination. The Diabetes Educator is responsible for assessment
and education of patients and family members in the MOLLY Diabetes
Education Center in the out-patient setting. This position
functions in utilizing principles of the nursing process by
organizing, delivering, delegating and coordinating nursing care to
the assigned patients and their families. Responsibilties: A day in
the life of a Diabetes Educator at Hackensack Meridian Health
- Assesses learning needs of individuals with diabetes, develops
the plan of care, implements appropriate interventions and
evaluates the effectiveness of teaching.
- Interprets and implements the philosophy and objectives of
HackensackUMC and the MOLLY Diabetes Center to members of the
center's team, medical staff and the other appropriate
- Assesses patient and families with diabetes/medical needs
- Specializes in the application of educational theory required
for the treatment and management of diabetes.
- Collaborates with other disciplines to provide a team
management approach to patient care.
- Participates in multidisciplinary rounds, diabetes team
meetings, and other hospital committees related to diabetes.
- Works with physicians, hospital staff, patients and their
families to improve understanding and utilization of the most
current diabetes self management principles.
- Actively participates in the role as nurse educator for
- Provides formal and informal educational programs to patient,
families and staff. -
- Responsible for inpatient/outpatient diabetes education.
Coordinates diabetes education curriculum and activities. Provides
direct diabetes education for individuals and groups.
- Acts as a resource to hospital staff for diabetes related
information and materials.
- Functions as a Registered Professional Nurse using the outcome
based practice model by demonstrating competency in clinical
judgment, select technical skills and appropriate knowledge
- Implements care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent and
continuous manner, utilizing procedures, protocols, standards of
care, and education of patients and significant others -
- Evaluates effectiveness of care toward desired outcomes in
progressing patients toward predefined standards of diabetes
- Performs documentation responsibilities following the
outcome-based standards and guidelines for forms used in the
Medical Center and the assigned clinical area.
- Actively seeks to participate in committees and attend
designated meetings as a member of the diabetes team/center's
- Participates in research projects/programs as appropriate.
- Utilizes and participates in current research findings in the
care of patients and families following standards of care, policies
and procedures and protocols.
- Identifies the needs of the patient populations served and
modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e.,
age, culture, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc). This process
includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary
caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational,
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's
Qualifications: Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Graduate of an NLN/AACN accredited program in nursing.
- Minimum of two years in diabetes patient care.
- Experience in staff, patient education. Education, Knowledge,
Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Master's Degree.
- Maintain professional continuing educational requirements.
- Ability to relate to physicians, patients, families, and
- Ability to communicate needs to APN/Manager of center in an
- Actively seeks to advance knowledge in attending appropriate
seminars and programs.
- Demonstrates professional investment in the commitment to
patient diabetes education and high standards of care. Licenses and
- NJ State Professional Registered Nurse License.
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
- Certified Diabetes Educator. - If you feel that the above
description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities,
then please apply today!
Keywords: Hackensack Meridian Health, Hackensack , Diabetes Educator, Other , Hackensack, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!